How to generate Vimeo API access token for Roku Direct Publisher channel or any other OTT app
Vimeo is a great ovp (online video platform) and a lot of businesses and individuals use Vimeo as a video storage for their OTT apps.
In this post, I will explain how we use Vimeo to store our video content and connect via API to publish it to Roku Direct Publisher channel.
In order to have Vimeo API access you will need to get a Vimeo Pro account, this will cost you $20/month. Also, we are using OTTfeed platform to manage out video content metadata, and to host the JSON content feed that is required for Roku Direct Publisher channel.
OTTfeed was design to bridge the gap between Vimeo and Roku Direct Publisher. To learn more, check OTTfeed features at the bottom of this page.
Once you get your Vimeo Pro account, go to Vimeo Developer website, click on the "New App" button in the top right corner, and login if you are logged out.
On the "Create a new app" page enter the following information:
- App name: This could be the name of your OTT channel (e.g. OTTfeed TV)
- App Description: describe what your app does (e.g. Our OTTfeed TV Roku Channel)
- Will people besides you be able to access your app? select No, only you will be accessing. This could be confusing but the App is referring to Vimeo access app.
- And check the box to agree to terms and click "Create App" button.
Now you will need to generate an authenticated (you) access token with the following scope:
- Public: This will give you access to your Vimeo public member data and it's required (e.g. access to a video that is public)
- Private: This will give you access to your Vimeo private member data (e.g access to a video that is private)
- Video Files: This will give you access to video files (e.g. link to HLS format)
And the last step is to copy your token string, and store it in a safe place. This is the only time you will be able to copy the token string. If you forget or lose your token, you will have to generate a new one and replace it in all applications that are using it to access your Vimeo account.
After copying the token go to your OTTfeed account, click on the Vimeo link in the top menu, paste your token in the "Vimeo token" text field and click "Continue" this will allow OTTfeed platform to access your Vimeo account.
On the next page you will be able to import all of your videos' metadata from your Vimeo Pro account.
Keep in mind as a best practice, you should only use one access token per application (e.g. OTTfeed).
There are a lot of reasons why you should use OTTfeed platform to manage your content feed, here are some of them:
- OTTfeed supports all types of content, from short form videos, movies to series with seasons and live.
- With OTTfeed you can specify custom ad breaks per content up to milliseconds, this way you can have ads exactly between scenes.
- With OTTfeed you can easily manage categories, groups and playlists
- Schedule content for publishing, this feature will automate your content release workflow
- Multi-user support makes collaboration with your team members a breeze
Any business or individual needs a solid long-term solution when it comes to video content distribution, and with OTTfeed you and you business will save time and money.
To learn more about OTTfeed platform or to request a demo, go to https://OTTfeed.com.
I have been working with Roku Direct Publisher and Roku platform for years. I founded and created OTTfeed.com platform, mainly to bridge the gap between content and Roku Direct Publisher. Also, I am an active user on the Roku forums, so if you have any questions or need help with your project you can DM on the Roku formu or book a session with me.
Published May 4, 2021